This is a healthier version of my favorite pecan, chocolate, and raspberry rugelach recipe. Feel free to substitute other flavors of jam and other nuts to make this recipe your own. Prepare the dough a day in advance, as it needs to freeze overnight.
Makes 3 rolls, serves 16
COOK TIME 30MIN
PREP TIME 20MIN
- 1 cup (2 sticks) pareve margarine, or coconut spread
- 8 ounces soy cream cheese, at room temperature 30 minutes , plus extra for dusting
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups oat flour
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup pecans, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoons rose water
- To make the dough, place the margarine, cream cheese, white whole-wheat flour and oat flour, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla into the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle or a food processor fitted with a metal blade, and mix just until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into thirds; enclose each piece in plastic wrap and flatten.Freeze overnight. Remove from freezer and let thaw until you can press it and make a small indentation.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. To roll out the dough, place a 10 X 15-inch sheet of parchment paper on the counter. Sprinkle with flour and place one dough disc on the parchment, sprinkle with more flour, and then top with a second sheet of parchment. Roll on top of the parchment to roll out the dough until it is 10 X 14 to 15 inches. Peel back the top parchment a few times while rolling and sprinkle some more flour on the dough. Remove the top parchment but reserve to cover the second disc of dough.
- Use a silicone spatula to spread one third of the jam over the dough to the edges. Sprinkle ⅓ cup of the pecans and ⅓ cup of the mini chocolate chips over the dough. Using the parchment to help you, roll up the long side, working slowly and rolling as tightly as you can and end with the seam on the bottom. Slice into one-inch pieces and place on a parchment-covered cookie sheet. Repeat with the other two pieces of dough, slice, and place on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly browned, but the tops can be light.
- Store, covered with plastic or in an airtight container, at room temperature for up to five days or freeze for up to three months.