Tomato Soup with Toasted Red Quinoa
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
6 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 garlic clove, smashed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 sprigs fresh thyme
3 sprigs fresh oregano
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 cup dry white wine
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup red quinoa, rinsed and drained
For the soup:
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the onion, carrots, celery and salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften.
3. Add the tomatoes, garlic, cayenne pepper, thyme and oregano, and cook about 5 minutes.
4. Add the basil, parsley, wine, broth and 1 cup water, and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 50 minutes.
6. Remove the herb sprigs.
7. Using a hand blender, puree the soup until smooth.
For the quinoa:
8. In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa with 1 cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and bring to a boil.
9. Cover and cook over low heat until the quinoa is tender and all of the water has been absorbed, about 25 minutes.
10. Spread the quinoa out on a baking sheet to cool.
11. In a small skillet, toast the quinoa over low heat, stirring frequently, until it’s crunchy and starts to pop, about 5 minutes.
12. Ladle the soup into bowls, spread the toasted quinoa over the top, garnish with chopped fresh basil.
Recipe submitted by Chef Yosef Schwartz – Joy of Kosher Magazine.
Subscribe at www.joyofkosher.com/subscribe