Vegetables should be washed with Kosher for Passover soap.
The following types of lettuce must be checked according to the instructions below: ARUGULA, BOSTON LETTUCE, ESCAROLE, GREEN LEAF, ICEBERG, ROMAINE, RED LEAF.
- Separate leaves from the head, opening all folds and creases.
- Soak the lettuce in water with soap for five minutes, and then rub each leaf between your fingers. Empty basin by removing lettuce with both hands (holding loosely) in small bunches and shaking them under the water.
- Put lettuce in a clean basin of fresh water. Swish vigorously. Repeat this step until there is no foam on the surface of the water.
- Rinse each piece of lettuce, one-by-one, under a strong stream of water.
- Check one-by-one (on both sides) in good lighting. A light box or fluorescent light is recommended for this procedure
- Cut off bottoms. If outside leaves are not clean, remove them. If top is spoiled, remove it.
- Check first 3 leaves from both sides. If they are clean, separate the leaves.
- Put in water with soap for 5 minutes, and then swish vigorously for 2 minutes. Empty basin by removing endives with both hands (holding loosely) in small bunches and shaking them under the water.
- Put endives in a clean basin of fresh water. Rinse each leaf, on both sides, under a strong stream of water. Put in a clean basin of fresh water, swishing for at least 2 minutes. Repeat this step until there is no foam on the surface of the water.
- emove the endives and place on a clean surface. Check at least 3 samples (on both sides) in good lighting. A light box or fluorescent light is recommended for this procedure.
Q: Can one check vegetables on Shabbos and avoid the melachos of borer (separating the bad from good), choivel (wounding), mimareich (smoothing)?
A: Yes, if one dilutes the soap and washes the vegetables close to the time the meal will begin, he will then be separating food from non-edibles in close proximity to the meal, which is not a problem. Since one is not sure there are insects and one is not sure that the soap will kill the insects, there is no intention (ןווכתמ) to kill the insects so it is not a problem.