The miracle of Chanukah and the defeat of the Greek general came about because of Yehudis, the heroine who plied the general with dairy and wine in order to make him fall asleep so she could kill him. Here’s 8 facts about one of the world’s most popular dairy products.
1. One cup of yogurt provides 49% of a person’s daily calcium needs.
2. The calcium in yogurt signals fat cells to release less cortisol (a hormore which prevents weight loss), aiding in weight loss.
3. Greek (strained) yogurt contains a higher concentration of protein and probiotics than standard yogurt.
4. Yogurt is a great source of potassium, phosphorus, riboflavin, iodine, zinc and vitamin B5.
5. The protein and carbohydrates in yogurt can help your body recover faster after a workout.
6. 2-3 servings of low fat dairy per day (including yogurt) can bring up to a 50% reduction in the risk of developing high blood pressure.
7. Yogurt with live active cultures can help gastrointestinal conditions, including lactose intolerance, constipation, and inflammatory bowel disease.
8. Regular consumption of yogurt can help reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.