Yehudis plied the general with salty foods and cheese. Here are some other foods that can help induce a sound sleep…
- Almonds are high in magnesium, a mineral needed for a good night’s sleep.
- Chamomile tea helps increase glycine, which relaxes nerves and muscles and acts like a mild sedative.
- Tuna is high in vitamin B6, which helps the body produce melatonin and serotonin.
- Tart cherries naturally boost the body’s levels of melatonin.
- Walnuts contain tryptophan, an amino acid that helps make serotonin and melatonin, which set your sleep/wake cycles.
- Lettuce contains lactucarium, which has sedative properties.
- Kale and spinach are full of calcium, which helps the brain use tryptophan to make melatonin.
- Pretzels have a high glycemic index. They cause a spike in blood sugar and insulin, which increases tryptophan levels.