1 (12 oz) container sour cream
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp group cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 unpeeled apple, cored and shredded
4 russet potatoes (about 1 lb), peeled and shredded
1 medium red onion, shredded
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp salt
2 eggs, whisked
½ cup canola or vegetable oil
Chives for garnish
- Mix sour cream, applesauce, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt together.
- Roll shredded apple in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out excess water.
- Stir drained apple shreds into the sour cream mixture. Adjust seasonings to taste and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Roll shredded potato and onion in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out excess water. Place in a large mixing bowl. Add flour and salt. Toss to coat evenly.
- Stir in eggs, mixing to coat evenly.
- Line two baking sheets with paper towels.
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a large sautee pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Form a ½ cup of the latke mixture into a ball, press into a ½-inch thick patty and place in skillet. Make enough latkes to fill the pan without overcrowding.
- Cook each side about 3 to 4 minutes, until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel-lined baking sheets.
- Add more oil, if needed, and repeat until the latke batter is used up.
- Garnish with chives and serve warm with Cinnamon Apple Sour Cream.
This recipe makes approx. 10, 3-inch latkes.