Indonesian Lamb Satay - with a spiced peanut sauce brings exotic flavor to skewered meat for a tempting appetizer or entree.
*1 1/2 pounds lean, boneless lamb shoulder, in 3/4-inch cubes or 1/4-inch thick strips
*6 tablespoons soy sauce
*2 1/2 tablespoons oil
*2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
*1 teaspoon brown sugar or honey
*1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
*1/4 teaspoon dried red chile flakes
*Dash ground coriander
*1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
*1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
*1/4 cup water
*1 tablespoon oil
*1/2 teaspoon dried red chile flakes
*Salt, white pepper to taste
*1/4 cup minced onions
*2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Thread lamb onto 8-inch bamboo skewers.
2. In 9-inch square glass baking dish, combine soy, oil, garlic, brown sugar and seasonings.
3. Add lamb, cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
4. For peanut sauce, blend peanut butter, coconut milk, water, oil, chile, salt and pepper in food processor.
5. Add onion and garlic, process to mix.
6. Broil or barbecue lamb over medium coals, close to the heat 2 minutes per side, brushing with marinade, just until browned.
7. Serve with peanut sauce.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.